Many of the cabins at the ranch were not built as guest cabins but instead are re-purposed settlers cabins that maintain the charm and storied history of their past. The oldest guest cabin original to the ranch is the Homestead cabin, built by Gavin Duncan, one of four Scottish brothers that settled in our part of Wyoming. When Homestead was renovated in 1972, Scottish newspapers from 1903 were discovered insulating the walls.
Other cabins built on the ranch include Riverside, used to rear chinchillas. Cedar, Cottonwood and Spruce were outbuildings, originally located near the vegetable garden, which has been producing for 60 years. Studio was a chicken house by the river before we moved it to its present location. It was Bayard’s office in the early days of Equitours before being converted to a small guest cabin with an unbeatable view of the Absaroka mountains.
Juniper was constructed in 1972 by Bayard’s cousin, Fran Fox, who had helped find the ranch and was the manager while Bayard extricated himself from business interests in the Solomon Islands.
Some cabins were originally built on other ranches and later moved to the Bitterroot. Aspen was originally located up Bear Creek at the old Dennison Ranch and was moved to the Bitterroot in 1975. Of interest are the hand hewn logs reflecting the tie hack heritage of the area. Corral was transported from Togwotee Lodge in the late 1970’s and renovated for guests in 1992. Pine and Sage were constructed on the ranch in the 1980’s. The last cabin to arrive at the ranch was Willow although it is actually one of the oldest cabins. Willow came from an abandoned ranch that was absorbed by the National Forest system. Rather than letting this historic cabin fall into disrepair we moved it to the ranch in the 1990’s.