Program Cost: $3300
We invite you to come to Wyoming and take part in an experience designed to give you the skills necessary to safely establish respect, confidence, trust and joy with your equine partners.
The Centered Riding lessons are designed for riders all levels and disciplines, from pleasure trail riders to accomplished competitors. The days include exercises in self-awareness for the humans, observation and interactions with the horses on the ground and mounted sessions. Clinic topics also explore Horse Speak (decoding and encoding the language of the horse), developing a deeper understanding of horse and human body language, the use of energy to communicate our desires and stress-free problem solving.
By the end of the week this well-rounded program will help participants improve their understanding of the horse, their confidence, their comfort, their communication skills and the overall relationship they share with horses.
Riders must be at least “Advanced Beginners”, thus being able to control a horse at the walk and have some experience riding and controlling a horse at the trot/jog.
Meet your Instructor
This clinic, taught by Centered Riding® Clinician & Senior Horse Speak® Instructor Heidi Potter, combines lessons in interacting with horses, focusing on creating enrichment and building rapport.
1. Morning workshops
Monday – Friday 9:00 -12:30
Focusing on improving comfort, confidence, communication and balance morning workshops include interactive exercises with human and human “horse” partners designed to improve both horsemanship skills and riding proficiency. These lessons prepare riders for the afternoon riding lessons and trail rides where they will have a chance to apply their new skills as they enjoy the scenic trail rides in the beautiful Wyoming countryside.
- Breathing exercises to release tensions, increase strength, improve clarity and re-balance the mind & body.
- Learning new skills that will lead to more quiet, clear communication on the ground and under saddle. Self-Awareness Exercises to improve overall body language and awareness.
- Horse Psychology insights and a deeper understanding of how we affect our horses mental, physical and emotional state.
- Lessons in the principals of Horse Speak to better understand what the horse is saying to you about his feelings, your feelings, and the space you share.
- Learning how to correctly use your core and energy in order to avoid confusion, reduce resistance and create more peaceful, enjoyable successful interactions.
- Learning to blend energies to avoid resistance.
- Centering & Grounding exercises to access the strength from your center and improve stability in the saddle.
2. Ground session & afternoon riding instruction
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday afternoons and Friday morning.
Improve riding skills in the ring and out on the trail. Ground sessions include improving observation skills and learning techniques to guide horses using body language, breath, energy and the most subtle of cues. Lessons will include improving the timing of requests, understanding how and when to ask for more and knowing when to quit. The main goal is to maintain a calm and positive learning experience for the horse and the human, leading them to a more safe and enjoyable relationship.
- Transitions through use of breath, turning from your center, rising trot with ease, improving rhythm and freedom of movement.
- Techniques for releasing tensions and improving comfort, confidence and communication.
- Imagery and balancing practice to improve stability and security in the saddle.
- Developing a more sensitive “feel” on the reins to improve softness and reduce resistance in the bridle.
3. Get out on the trail!
Wednesday afternoon and Saturday morning
Take a break from the clinic and a ride through the country surrounding the ranch. The two trail rides will allow you to put into practice the new skills learned over the course of the week, get some coaching out of the ring and a chance to take in the magnificent wide, open spaces that Wyoming has to offer.
4. Optional activities
- Yoga sessions with ranch owner Hadley Fox
- Cattle sorting
- Attending a rodeo and a square dance.
- Friday afternoon will involve a friendly team sorting competition. This is a fun way to put what you have learned into practical use.
Sunday: Departure after breakfast.
What our guests are saying
“Probably the most informative and in depth clinic that I have ever participated in. I have found a new understanding of the relationship between my horse, my body and my riding.”
“I liked the way the clinic and the trail riding complemented one another, particularly toward the end of the week. I liked the focus on the basics, which can get overlooked but make a big difference for riders at all levels. Heidi was able to tailor the clinic to the interests of the group; and I really loved the groundwork, specifically the fact that we could see results so quickly and the way it profoundly affected my relationship with the horse.”